Down Home Southern Sweet Potato CasseroleFrom cookinwithjen 9 years ago
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 can of evaporated milk shopping list
- 1 stick of unsalted butter cut into cubes shopping list
- 1 tsp of cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract (the real deal! no imitation stuff!) shopping list
- 2 tsp of granulated sugar shopping list
- For the topping you need: shopping list
- 2 cups of light brown sugar shopping list
- 2 cups of chopped pecans shopping list
- 2 cups of shred coconut shopping list
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter shopping list
How to make it
- Boil the sweet potatoes. They'll take about an hour.
- Once they are done (do the fork tender test first) and steaming hot mash them with a potato masher until they look like a thick puree.
- Add in your eggs very slowly (you may want to temper them with a tad bit of the potatoes so as not to scramble them) milk, butter, and granulated sugar.
- Add your nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir well.
- Spread into a large deep glass casserole dish.
- In a heavy sauce pan melt your 2 sticks of butter for the topping.
- Add in the brown sugar, pecans, and coconut. It will be crumbly but that is what you want. The butter is just the binding ingredient.
- Spread this on top of the sweet potatoes and bake in a 375 oven for around 1 hour.
The Cookcookinwithjen Goldsboro, NC
- Not added to any groups yet!