Sugar CookiesFrom ambauer 6 years ago
How to make it
- Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, mix until just combined. Add flour and baking powder in intervals. Dough will seem as if doesn't have enough moisture but continue to mix with mixer until combined (it will come together when chilled).
- Divide the dough into four equal parts, shape into four disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate about an hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper, about 1/4 inch thick for crispier cookies and 1/3 inch thick for softer cookies.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges just start to turn a golden color. For softer cookies, do not allow the cookies to take on color. Remove from oven, let cool for one minute and then transfer to wire rack. Allow cookie sheet to cool thoroughly before placing uncooked dough on it. Decorate cookies with Royal Icing or Buttercream Frosting and sprinkles.
- Can be stored in freezer undecorated for 2 months. Dough also freezes well.
- Note: Yield varies greatly depending on how thin you roll out the dough and how large your cookie cutters are, but an overall guideline is 24 cookies.