Chicken and Sausage GumboFrom ks76017 8 years ago
- 1 tbsp vegetable (or canola oil) shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, diced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 chicken bullion cube shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 tsp lemon pepper shopping list
- ½ teaspoon cayenne shopping list
- 1 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1 tbsp soy sauce shopping list
- 1 can diced tomato (italian seasoning or plain) shopping list
- 2 links turkey kielbasa sliced shopping list
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch cubes shopping list
- 2 cups fresh or frozen okra shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot, combine oil and flour. Cooking over medium heat, stir the mix constantly till the roux has browned to a caramel color. Add the onion, pepper, celery, and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly – season with salt and pepper. Add broth, water, and bullion cube. Stir till the cube has dissolved. Add bay leaf, lemon pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, soy sauce, and diced tomato. Stir to combine, bring to a boil. Add the sausage, chicken, and okra. Simmer for an hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer a thicker gumbo, you can double the roux or add more okra.
- Serve over hot rice. Brown rice is healthier, white rice is tastier.
- Serves 4-6.
- If 6 servings, each serving has 310 calories. If 4 servings, each serving has 466 calories. (rice not included)
The Cookks76017 Arlington, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!