English MuffinsFrom erin 8 years ago
How to make it
- In a small bowl, place yeast, sugar and half the water. With a fork, whisk until yeast is dissolved and cover with a towel for at least five minutes. Mixture should start to foam. Add remaining water and milk and cover for another five minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flours and salt. Add in yeast mixture. Gently mix ingredients, until just combined. Pour onto lightly floured work surface and knead for up to 8 minutes. You can also use a standing mixer and dough hook. Dough will be very soft.
- Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic. Allow to double in size, at least 90 minutes.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and gently deflate. Roll into a rope at least one inch thick. You'll want no more than 8 or 9 pieces from the dough. Roll each piece into a ball and roll in cornmeal. Place on a baking sheet and top with a second baking sheet for a second rise, about 20 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease with oil.
- Allow to cook on first side for about 10 minutes till golden. Turn and cook for about the same amount of time. Place cooked muffins in a tea towel to keep warm.