Pork Belly RagoutFrom jdarr 6 years ago
- 2 lb pork belly(boneless), cut into roughly 1 in x 1in squares. Trim all but about 3/4 of an inch of fat the one side of the belly.(Easy to find at Chinese markets) shopping list
- roughly 2 tablespoons regular olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons of all purpose flour mixed with 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 pint chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup white wine shopping list
- 4 large carrots, chopped fine in a blender or food processor shopping list
- zest of one whole lemon shopping list
- 8 oz black-eyed beans, soaked overnight in cold water, drained shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- kosher or sea salt shopping list
- bread crumbs (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 325F
- 2. Heat oil in a flameproof casserole or dutch oven over medium heat, add the pork and fry until lightly browned and sealed on both sides. Remove pork and drain on paper towels.
- 3. Heat the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes or so until soft and translucent. Stir in flour and butter over low heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Gradually stir in stock and wine. Raise heat and bring to the boil for 8 minutes and then simmer, stirring, until thick.
- 4. Add the carrots, lemon zest, beans and spices, and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Bring back to the boil and then boil for 10 minutes. Return the meat to the pot, cover and cook in the oven for about 2.5 hours. If desired remove cover and add bread crumbs covering top of casserole for final 45 minutes in oven.
- 5. Before serving, add salt and black pepper to taste.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- jdarr San Jose, CA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookjdarr San Jose, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!