Beef and Rice Soup Mexican StyleFrom elle 6 years ago
- 3 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1 lb boneless stewing beef, cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 2/3 cup red wine shopping list
- 1 onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 small fresh red chili pepper (or a jalapeno), seeded and finely chopped shopping list
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 oranges, zest of, grated shopping list
- 1 (14 ounces) can diced tomatoes, not drained shopping list
- 5 cups beef bouillon shopping list
- 1/4 cup long grain white rice shopping list
- 3 Tbs raisins shopping list
- 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped in small pieces shopping list
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat half the oil in a soup pot over medium high heat, add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the wine.
- Pour the meat/wine mixture into a bowl and set aside, then put the soup pot back on the heat.
- Add the remaining oil and let it heat for a minute, add the onions, stir and cover for 3 minutes.
- Then add the green pepper, chile, garlic and carrot, stir and cover, cooking for 3 minutes.
- Then it's time to add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, bay leaf and orange zest.
- Now add the tomatoes and bouillon, along with the beef/wine mixture--bring all of this to almost a boil, when it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer gently for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- When the hour is up, add the rice, raisins and chocolate, cover again, and simmer for another 1/2 hour, until rice is tender.
- (you may need to raise the heat up a bit)
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with the cilantro.
The Cookelle NH
- Not added to any groups yet!