Butternut Squash SoupFrom tooheymomster 8 years ago
- 1 small butternut squash about (1 1/4 lbs.) peeled and seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. pepper shopping list
- 2 yellow squash (about 1 1/4 lbs.) cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/4 finely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (see tip) shopping list
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste shopping list
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) vegetable or chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- pumpkin seeds (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 450F
- Toss butternut squash with 1 tbsp. oil, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Roast, turning once, 15 minutes
- Toss yellow squash and onions with remaining oil, salt and pepper.
- Add to baking sheet with butternut squash
- Continue roasting 20 minutes until all vegetables are tender
- In a large saucepot over medium heat, cook pumpkin pie spice 1 minute, stirring constantly 1 minute, or until fragrant
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute more
- Add roasted vegetables and broth, briing to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes
- Stir in cream and remove from heat
- Puree soup with an immersion blender
- Heat gently to warm through
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper
- To serve, divide soup into bowls and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and sour cream, if desired
- ***Warm spices such as cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves are found in one jar - Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- However, if you have the above spices in your cabinet and want to make your own spice mixture, combine 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/8 tsp. each of allspice and nutmeg and a pinch of ground cloves.
The Cooktooheymomster Springfield, MA
- Not added to any groups yet!