Award Winning Date SquaresFrom ccer 6 years ago
- 2 cups, quality, pitted dates (no need to chop first) shopping list
- juice of 1 lemon (or 3-4 tbsp coffee) – either optional shopping list
- ½ cup water shopping list
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 1¾ cups unbleached white flour shopping list
- ½ tsp sea salt (or ¾ tsp regular salt) shopping list
- ½ tsp baking soda, sifted shopping list
- 1 cup rolled oats shopping list
How to make it
- Combine dates, lemon juice and water in a saucepan, cook on very low heat for about 10 minutes, stir occasionally, remove from heat to cool.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar, stir in flour, salt, baking soda, add oats and mix well using hands. The dough will be crumbly but hold together when squeezed. Press 2/3rds of dough into an oiled 8 X 9 inch square baking pan. Stir the date mixture and spread over the dough. Crumble the remaining dough on top. (optional but highly recommended: add a bit more butter to the oats for the top) Bake for about 30 mins in 350 degree oven. Cool in pan – makes 16 award winning bars.
The Cookccer London, CA
The Rating2 people
These sound awesome and I needed a great date Square recipe...Guess I found it!!
Thanks for sharing!momto4 in Orillia, On, Canada loved it
My Mom used to make date squares all the time, but as a kid I wouldn't eat them (dates?? What's with those, anyway???)
Now that I'm 'older & wiser', I crave them every now & again, but end up buying pre-made ones instead. They just don't stack ...morekukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!