Pasta with tomato and vegetableFrom jspottiswood 9 years ago
- 2 lbs fresh, ripe tomatoes or 2 cups canned, imported Italian plum/pear tomatoes cut up with juice shopping list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 large carrot (or 1/2 cup baby carrots) chopped shopping list
- 2 large sticks celery chopped shopping list
- 1 lb pasta (penne or rotini) shopping list
How to make it
- If using fresh tomatoes...Cook tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes, transfer tomatoes (not water) to a blender and puree. For a thicker sauce, instead drop raw tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute. Cool under cold water. When cool remove skin and cut into eighths. Pour tomatoes back into pan and simmer for 20 minutes
- If using canned tomatoes, skip previous step and proceed.
- Put olive oil, chopped onion in large saucepan and cook on medium until onion becomes pale gold
- Add carrot and celery and cook on medium high for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the cooked, fresh or canned tomatoes and a pinch of salt (if fresh), stir. Adjust heat as necessary to cook at a steady low simmer. Make sure to leave pan uncovered, or the sauce will not reduce to the desired concentration and texture. Cook for 45 minutes or to taste, stirring occasionally.
- Correct for salt and pepper to taste.
The Cookjspottiswood Sacramento, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!