Chicken Curry with RiceFrom mystic75 7 years ago
- 1 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless shopping list
- 2 potatoes shopping list
- 1 red onion shopping list
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying shopping list
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (traditional Indian yellow curry paste is best) shopping list
- 3/4 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 cup long-grained rice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, or to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Chop the chicken into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Peel the potates and red onion. Cut into pieces approximately the same size as the chicken.
- Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the heated wok. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Stir-fry until the onion is softened and translucent. Add the curry paste and stir-fry until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add the chicken and potato and stir-fry for about 5 minutes so that the chicken is browned and coated with the curry paste.
- Add the chicken broth, sugar, salt, and pepper, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 15 - 20 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked.
- While the chicken is simmering, cook the rice. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil, uncovered, at medium heat. Turn the heat down to medium low. Cook the rice, partially covered, until the water is absorbed and you can see holes or "craters" in the rice. Turn the heat down to low, cover tightly and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Taste the curried chicken and adjust the seasoning if desired. Serve hot over rice. Sprinkle the ground coriander over top.
- Traditionally, the dish is made with a whole cut up chicken, with the bones left in..