Spicy EggplantFrom dianer 9 years ago
- 1#, 12 oz. eggplant shopping list
- 14 oz rip tomatoes or 14 oz. canned tomatoes shopping list
- 1" piece of ginger (I add more as I love ginger) shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- oil for frying shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kalonji (nigella seeds or black cumin) I leave these out but they are available on line shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- cayenne pepper to taste shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Put eggplant pieces in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, squeeze out any excess water and pat dry.
- Puree the ginger and garlic with 1/3 of the tomato in a blender or food processor or finely chop.
- Heat oil in large, heavy skillet and when hot, add eggplant in one layer and cook over medium heat until brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a sieve over a bowl to let the excess oil drain off.
- Reheat oil left in pan, or add more, and add the fennel and nigella seeds.
- Cover and allow to pop for a few seconds. Add tomato and ginger mixture, and remaining ingredients, except the eggplant.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 - 6 minutes, until the mixture becomes think and fairly smooth.
- Add eggplant carefully, so the pieces stay whole, cover, and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Pour off any excess oil before serving.
- May be served cold or gently warmed through.
The Cookdianer Westport Point, MA
- Not added to any groups yet!