Old-fashioned Beef StewFrom jones2888 7 years ago
- 1/3 cup flour shopping list
- 1 t. salt shopping list
- 1/4 t. pepper shopping list
- 2 lbs. boneless stewing beef cubes shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1 quart boiling water shopping list
- 1 T lemon juice shopping list
- 1 T worchestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 12 small carrots, trimmed and scraped or 6 large ones, cut into 1/4 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 bag frozen peas shopping list
- 8 small new potatoes, peeled shopping list
How to make it
- Mix flour, salt and pepper; roll beef in mixture. Shake off excess. Melt shortening over high heat in a Dutch oven or a heavy bottomed pot with a cover. When shortening is hot, add beef (4 or 5 pieces at a time so as not to crowd them). Brown beef on all sides and remove, then add additional pieces.
- When all beef is browned, return it to pot and pour in boiling water. (Stand back when you do this, as it will spit and sputter). Stir and add lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, onions and bay leaves.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Add carrots, peas, and potatoes and cook another 20 to 25 minutes or until they can be pierced easily with a fork.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- jones2888 Columbus, OH
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookjones2888 Columbus, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!