Chicken And DumplingsFrom charlii 5 years ago
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 lbs Chicken…. (I usually use 4 to 6 chicken breasts) shopping list
- 2 Medium onions shopping list
- 4 celery stalks, peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (I usually just put in baby carrots whole) shopping list
- 1 tsp dried tarragon or thyme…(I use italian seasoning) shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper corns shopping list
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted shopping list
- ½ cup dry white wine or condensed chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup green peas, thawed if frozen shopping list
- ½ cup whipping cream shopping list
- DUMPLINGS: shopping list
- 1 ¼ Sifted all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- ½ tsp salt shopping list
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 2 tbsp melted butter shopping list
- ¾ cup warm milk shopping list
How to make it
- In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches and brown on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions, carrots and celery to pan and cook, stirring until veggies are softened. Add tarragon, salt and pepper and cook stirring for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir well and cook for another minute. Add chicken broth and wine and cook, stirring until thickened.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hrs or on high for 3 hours. At end of cooking stir in peas and cream.
- Dumplings: Turn slow cooker to high. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and parsley. Add butter and milk and stir just until moistened (lumps are fine). Drop spoonfuls onto hot chicken. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- TIP: Make sure stew is bubbling when you add dumpling. Turn up heat 20 to 30 minutes before adding dumplings. Also try to drop dumpling onto chicken instead on into liquid as they may get soggy.