Beef StewFrom dreamweaver 8 years ago
- 4 to 5 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 12 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (about 12 medium) shopping list
- 8 cups sliced carrots (about 16 small) shopping list
- 3 cups chopped celery (about 5 stalks) shopping list
- 3 cups chopped onion (about 4 small) shopping list
- 1-1/2 Tbsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- water shopping list
- 7 quart or 14 pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands shopping list
How to make it
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- BROWN meat in oil in a large saucepot. Add vegetables and seasonings to browned meat. Cover with boiling water. Bring stew to a boil. Remove from heat.
- LADLE hot stew into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 15 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
The Cookdreamweaver Galeton, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!