Chocolate-Chipotle Cookies - Thick and ChewyFrom grumpster 7 years ago
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder shopping list
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
How to make it
- To melt the chocolate in a microwave, heat at 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stir, then continue heating at 50 percent power for 1 more minute. f not completely melted, heat an additional 30 to 45 seconds at 50 percent power. We recommend using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to scoop the dough. Resist the urge to bake the cookies longer than indicated; they may appear underbaked at first but will firm up as they cool. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; set
- Melt chocolate in medium heatproof bowl set over pan of almost-simmering water, stirring once or twice, until smooth; remove from heat. Blend chipotle until smooth add to melted chocolate
- Beat eggs and vanilla lightly with fork, sprinkle coffee powder over to dissolve, and set aside.
- In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 5 seconds. Beat in sugars until combined, about 45 seconds; mixture will look granular. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in egg mixture until incorporated, about 45 seconds.
- Add chocolate in steady stream and beat until combined, about 40 seconds. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl with rubber spatula. With mixer at low speed, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overbeat. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until consistency is scoopable and fudgelike, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Leaving about 1 1/2 inches between each ball, scoop dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheets with 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop.
- Bake, reversing position of baking sheets halfway through baking (from top to bottom and front to back), until edges of cookies have just begun to set but centers are still very soft, about 10 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets about 10 minutes, slide parchment with cookies onto wire racks, and cool to room temperature. Cover one baking sheet with new piece of parchment paper. Scoop remaining dough onto parchment-lined sheet, bake, and cool as directed. Remove cooled cookies from parchment with wide metal spatula and serve.
- Variation — Thick and Chewy Triple-Chocolate Cookies:
- If you like bursts of warm melted chocolate in your cookies, include chocolate chips in the batter. The addition of chips will slightly increase the yield of the cookies. Follow recipe for Thick and Chewy Double-Chocolate Cookies, adding 12 ounces (about 2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips to batter after dry ingredients are incorporated in step 3.