Avocado and Jack Cheese SandwichesFrom amercolpsa 8 years ago
- 1/2 pound tomatillos, husked shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne shopping list
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice shopping list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sour cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise shopping list
- Eight slices (1/2-inch-thick) of sourdough bread shopping list
- 4 ounces arugula shopping list
- 2 Haas avocados, cut into thick slices shopping list
- 4 ounces sliced monterey jack cheese, at room temperature shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a medium skillet until hot to the touch.
- Add the tomatillos and cook over high heat, turning, until blackened in spots but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatillos to a plate.
- Add the oil to the skillet along with the cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook over moderate heat just until fragrant, about 30 seconds; let cool.
- Coarsely chop the tomatillos and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the scallions, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and spiced oil. Season the salsa with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, stir the sour cream and mayonnaise with 1/2 cup of the salsa
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread the creamy salsa on each slice of toast and top half of the slices with the arugula, avocados and Jack cheese.
- Close the sandwiches, cut them in half and serve with the remaining salsa on the side.