Carrot Ginger Cake- Courtsey Of Martha StewartFrom fluffy24 8 years ago
- Makes 1 four-layer cake, serves 10 to 12 shopping list
- unsalted butter, for pans shopping list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans shopping list
- 1 cup (3 ounces) pecan halves shopping list
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled shopping list
- 3 large eggs, room temperature shopping list
- 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- Orange cream cheese frosting shopping list
- Makes 5 cups shopping list
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 3 (8-ounces each) cream cheese, room temperature shopping list
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Dust pans with flour, and tap out any excess. Set pans aside. Spread pecans in a single layer on an ungreased baking pan, and toast in the oven until lightly golden, about 7 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and let stand until completely cool. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees. Finely chop pecans, and set aside.
- Using the smallest holes (less than 1/4 inch in diameter) of a box grater, grate carrots, yielding 2 1/2 cups. Place carrots, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, sugar, vegetable oil, and ginger in a large bowl; whisk until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture until combined. Fold in the toasted pecans.
- Divide batter between the two cake pans, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middles comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove pans from oven, and transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack; let stand until completely cool.
- Using a serrated knife, trim tops of the cakes so surfaces are level. Slice each layer in half horizontally. Place a layer on a cake stand or cardboard round, and spread 3/4 cup frosting over top. Place a second cake layer on top, and spread with another 3/4 cup frosting. Repeat with third layer and another 3/4 cup frosting. Place last cake layer on top, and spread the remaining frosting over the top and the sides of the assembled cake. Transfer to refrigerator, and chill 3 to 4 hours.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, and beat until well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining ingredients, and beat 5 minutes more. Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.
The Cookfluffy24 Cranston, RI
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!