Mountain Country Tomato Gravy Can Be Vegan TooFrom lanacountry 8 years ago
- Mountain Country Tomato gravy shopping list
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 tablespoons butter, or olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (option) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (scant) shopping list
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- Get out a nice big skillet.
- Heat the fat or oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it is lump free.
- Let the fat simmer for a moment or two, to toast the flour just a bit.
- Add the sugar ,salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Smash the tomatoes with your fork to make them sort of choppy or shredded.
- This gravy is not smooth, so you don't have to work real hard at smashing the tomatoes.
- The lumpy tomatoes are actually what give it the characteristic texture which tomato Gravy is famous for.
- When it begins to boil and thicken, add the milk gradually.
- Stir it all up and let it boil again.
- It tastes so good, folks seldom notice if it is smooth or not.
- If you can your own tomatoes, you can double or triple the recipe for each quart of tomatoes you use.
- This recipe makes about 2-1/2 cup of gravy.
- Good with biscuits or cornbread. My family has always loved it with rice. Also great with beef or fish!
- Really good in the fall and winter.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.