Upsidedown Blackberry CakeFrom midgelet 8 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries (12 oz) shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk shopping list
- Accompaniment: vanilla ice cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line bottom of a buttered 8- by 2-inch round cake pan with 2 rounds of parchment paper, then butter parchment.
- Dust pan with some flour, knocking out excess.
- Arrange blackberries in 1 layer in cake pan.
- Sprinkle berries with 11/2 tablespoons sugar and shake pan to help distribute sugar.
- Whisk together 1 cup flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix at low speed until just incorporated.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 batches, mixing at low speed until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter evenly over berries, smoothing top, and bake in middle of oven until top is golden and a tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edge of pan, then invert a large plate over pan and, using pot holders to hold plate and pan together tightly, flip cake onto plate.
- Peel off parchment and serve cake with ice cream.