Chicken and Rice-inessFrom fionyac 4 years ago
- 8 chicken thighs and/or legs (half and half is best) shopping list
- 1 and 1/4 cups of very short grained rice (risotto or sushi) shopping list
- 1 Medium onion shopping list
- 8 leaves of a large cabbage (any vegetable will do, as long as it is chopped to about 1.5cm/1.5cm) shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil shopping list
- 3 or 4 tsp coriander (diced fresh or dried) shopping list
- 1 tsp mixed herbs shopping list
- 1/2 tsp Chilli pepper shopping list
- 3/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds (either ground or just crushed) shopping list
How to make it
- Dice the onion, cabbage (and fresh coriander if you are using it).
- Get a pan that is big enough to have most of the chicken touching the bottom.
- Put in the Sunflower oil and heat.
- When the oil is hot, put the onion in and fry it until its nicely browned.
- Then stir in the coriander (dried or fresh), coriander seed, pepper, chilli, mixed herbs and salt.
- Lay the chicken onto the base of the pan(as far as your pan is big enough - I sometimes use a wok for this dish but a normal pan is much less likely to get too hot!) and let it fry for a few minutes, turning it untill all of the meat is seared.
- Add in the Cabbage and enough boiling water to go just half a cm up the side of the pan and stir well.
- Let it go on on a medium heat like this until the chicken is almost completely cooked(Check with a knife that the chicken is only very slightly pink at the bone), adding a drop more boiling water if it gets dry.
- Add the rice, stir it quickly, and then put cold water in so that all of the chicken meat is covered (leave the end of the chicken leg bones sticking out).
- Bring it back up to the boil and then cover.
- Check it regularly, giving it a stir.
- When the rice is almost completely cooked (like 2 minutes away from cooked), remove the lid and stir it as it finishes cooking to thicken up the sauce.
- Make sure you check the chicken is cooked right to the bone!! On the leg pieces, the meat should be just shrinking away from the boney end!
- Serve it with a nice fresh salad and Enjoy!
The Cookfionyac London, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!