Cheesy Vegetable Stew SoupFrom chispirit 7 years ago
- 1 pound lean ground beef shopping list
- 2 slices of bacon shopping list
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed shopping list
- 1 large onion (chopped) shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed shopping list
- 3 carrots (sliced or chopped) shopping list
- 2 stalks celery shopping list
- chicken bouillon or paste shopping list
- Approx. 42 oz of water shopping list
- 2 cups shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups milk (if sauce gets too thick add more milk as needed) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
How to make it
- In a lager soup pot with 42 oz water, add chicken bouillon or paste and carrots. Bring to a slow boil and add celery.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes then add cubed potatoes.
- Meanwhile brown the bacon in a pan. Don not discard the bacon drippings. Remove bacon from pan and add onion and garlic to the bacon drippings. Let them fry in the pan for about 5 minutes then add ground beef and brown.
- When the meat is browned crumble bacon over meat and set aside.
- In a smaller pot melt butter and add flour. Stir flour and butter mixture over medium heat for a few minutes until it starts to smell yummy and nutty. Season with some pepper (do not add salt at this point). Add cold milk to the mixture and stir frequently. Mix will become nice and thick and bubbly. Let it boil for just a minute or 2.
- Take pot off the burner and stir in shredded cheese very slowly until all cheese has melted.
- Test if your vegetables are done. If so add the ground meat mixture to the soup.
- Let it simmer for just a few minutes then take off the burner. Add the milk cheese mixture to the soup very slowly and stir very good to mix it all up.
- Taste your soup if it needs salt. Lots of times it does not since you add all the sharp cheese and bacon to it.
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.