Baked French Onion SoupFrom chefmeow 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 6 medium white onions sliced shopping list
- 8 cups beef broth shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 5 plain hamburger buns shopping list
- 10 slices provolone cheese shopping list
- 10 teaspoons shredded parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Add 3 tablespoons oil to a large soup pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add sliced onions and sauté 20 minutes until onions begin to soften and turn translucent.
- Add beef broth, water, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and bring to a boil.
- When soup begins to boil reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Cut off top half of each top of the hamburger bun so that bread is same thickness as bottom half.
- Preheat oven to 325 then place bread in oven directly on rack and bake 20 minutes.
- Set these croutons aside until you need them.
- When soup is done spoon 1 cup into an oven safe bowl.
- Float a crouton on top of the soup then place a slice of provolone cheese on top of the crouton.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon shredded parmesan cheese over provolone.
- Place bowl into oven set to high broil then broil 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle an additional 1/2 teaspoon shredded parmesan over top of soup and serve.
- Repeat process to prepare remaining servings.