Peanut BrittleFrom 55to64 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup white sugar shopping list
- 1 cup oil-roasted salted peanuts shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra butter for preparing the pan shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
How to make it
- Heavily butter a 10 x 15 inch baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine corn syrup, water and sugar in a large (3 quarts or more) heavy saucepan.
- Place over medium high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook the mixture. Occasionally wash down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Cook until mixture reaches the soft ball stage (242 degrees).
- Add peanuts.
- Stir constantly until mixture reaches the hard crack stage, about 305 degrees. Remove from heat and stir in butter, salt and vanilla.
- Finally stir in the baking soda. Mix quickly, but thoroughly. (The more baking soda you put into the brittle at this point, the easier it will be to bite into. I always put 2 teaspoons in and sometimes even a little more.)
- Pour brittle onto baking sheet.
- Stretch the brittle as it cools trying to get it about 1/8” thick.
- Let cool completely.
- Break into pieces.
- Store in airtight containers.
- NOTES: 1. You can substitute other oil-roasted nuts like cashews or macadamias. 2. DO NOT USE DRY-ROASTED NUTS. You need nuts with oil because they'll burn very easily otherwise. 3.BE CAREFUL when stretching the brittle. It is very hot.
- THIS IS NOT A RECIPE FOR YOU TO MAKE WITH YOUR CHILDREN IN THE ROOM!!!
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cook55to64 River Forest, IL
The Rating6 people
great recipe thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I looked for such one long time ago Zena...Thanks for sharing with us.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
great peanuty sweet, thanksnadeemnirvana in Sudbury, Nr Harrow/Wembley loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!