Baby White Turnip Salad with Toasted Pecans and BaconFrom breezeatdawn 5 years ago
- 4 small white turnips with their greens attached shopping list
- 1/4 c. pecan halves or pieces shopping list
- 3 oz. bacon shopping list
- 1 green garlic stalk or green onion, sliced on the bias shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1-2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Remove the greens from the turnips. Tear the leaves with your hands into medium to large pieces and set aside.
- Slice turnips as thin as possible (use a mandoline if you have one). Put into a bowl of iced water.
- Toast the pecans in the oven just until they start to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, saute the bacon until crunchy on the outside. Remove from the pan and set aside, reserving the fat.
- Prepare a simple vinaigrette: combine vinegar with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in about 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat the bacon fat in the same pan. Once hot, add the green garlic/onion and saute until tender. Add greens to the pan, season with salt and just a splash of balsamic vinegar and cook until they are wilted.
- Remove the sliced turnips from the iced water bath, dry them with a kitchen towel and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the turnip slices and their greens in a mound and sprinkle bacon and pecans on top.
The Cookbreezeatdawn Shakopee, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!