Southern Mince-Pear PieFrom dariana 6 years ago
How to make it
- Stir together mincemeat, pears, and orange juice in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. Place one ball of dough on a lightly floured surface; flatten slightly using the palms of your hands. Roll from the center to edges, forming a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around the rolling pin; unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.
- Transfer mincemeat mixture to pastry-lined pie plate.
- Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut eight 1/2- to 1-inch-wide pastry strips with a pastry wheel. Weave strips on top of pie to form a lattice. Press ends of strips into rim of crust. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; pinch to seal with your fingers, and flute pastry edge. Cut leaves or other decorative shapes from remaining pastry with hors d�oeuvre cutters or small cookie cutters. Lay on top of filling and lattice.
- 5. Cover pie edge with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Pastry for Double-Crust Pie: Stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2/3 cup shortening or lard until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 5 to 6 additional tablespoons of water, until all is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
The Cookdariana IL
- Not added to any groups yet!