Jerk Cornish Game HensFrom meileen 5 years ago
- 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed and halved shopping list
- 5 small scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths shopping list
- 2 teapsoons chopped thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dark rum shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 4 Cornish game hens (about 2 pounds each) shopping list
- Note: the prep time does not include overnight marinade shopping list
How to make it
- In a blender, puree the Scotch bonnets with the scallions, thyme, garlic powder, brown sugar, soy sauce, dark rum and water. Season with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut out the backbone of each hen (don't worry it's easy). Press down on the breasts to flatten the hens. Set them in a baking dish and coat them all over with the jerk paste. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Set the hens on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes, until firm but not browned or cooked through.
- Meanwhile, light a grill. Grill the hens over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through and lightly charred in spots, about 20 minutes. Transfer the hens to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Note: if you are not grilling use the broil method which is the method I used.
The Cookmeileen Zhuhai GuangDong, CN
The Rating2 people
What a great photograph. This sounds fantastic. High 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it