Old Fashioned Pear And Almond CakeFrom wrigggit 8 years ago
- 2 large, nearly ripe pears- peeled, cored and cut into eighths shopping list
- (You can also use peaches, apricots or plums for this cake) shopping list
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey shopping list
- 5 eggs shopping list
- 220g caster sugar shopping list
- 200g blanched almonds shopping list
- 50g breadcrumbs (crumb day old crustless bread in a food processor) shopping list
How to make it
- Grease and line a 24cm cake tin or similar. Preheat oven to 180degC
- Place pear pieces in a baking dish with brown sugar and bake 10-15 mins til soft
- Whisk eggs with caster sugar til thick and pale
- Process almonds to a fine-ish powder in a blender
- Fold these and the breadcrumbs into the egg mixture and pour into prepared cake tin.
- Dot pear pieces evenly over the mix- don't use all the syrup but occasionally let a bit join the pears
- Bake for about 35-45 mins or until it passes the skewer test.
- Cool and serve with cardamom custard
- Matthew Evans' custard uses 10 eggs, which I just can't bring myself to do. I suggest you make your regualr custard, or buy a tetrapak of custard. As you heat it, add 4-5 cardamom pods-lightly crushed, or 1-2 tspn seeds. Heat slowly and serve over a cool cake.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- wrigggit Perth, Australia
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookwrigggit Perth, Australia
- Not added to any groups yet!