Codfish Potato CasseroleFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 2 pounds dried salt cod shopping list
- 6 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for drizzling shopping list
- 2 large yellow onions sliced shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- 4 medium waxy potatoes boiled cooled peeled and cut into 1/4" slices shopping list
- 8 hard cooked eggs halved for garnish shopping list
- Portuguese olives and chopped parsley for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse cod under cold running water to remove any surface salt.
- Place fish pieces in large nonreactive pot then cover with water and refrigerate covered 24 hours.
- Change water several times during soaking.
- Pour off water then refill pot with clean water and gently boil cod 10 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat then add onions and sauté 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more then set aside.
- Drain cod and allow to cool then flake into large bowl and remove bones and skin.
- Add onion garlic mixture, nutmeg, white pepper and remaining olive oil then and toss lightly.
- Pack mixture into well oiled rectangular oven proof casserole dish and top with potato slices.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet then place it over the casserole and invert.
- Carefully remove casserole dish to keep cod mixture intact then bake 20 minutes at 400.
- To serve cut a square of cod and center it on a plate then drizzle with additional olive oil.
- Garnish with egg halves, several olives and some parsley.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!