Hobsons Split Pea SoupFrom starduster 5 years ago
- 1/2 pound bacon finely cut shopping list
- 2 large onions chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 large potatoes diced shopping list
- 1 cup Green split peas shopping list
- 6 cups water shopping list
- 1 can (12 oz) beef consomme undiluted shopping list
- 1 Bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper shopping list
- salt shopping list
- vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- In a large kettle with cover,saute bacon until done but not crisp. Add onions and saute until liimp. Add remaining ingredients except salt and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring often. Mash with a potato masher until smooth; or press through a course sieve, returning bacon bits to soup; or whirl in a blender until smooth Reheat and correct seasoning with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Pass vinegar when served.
- Ashley Hobson, Engine Company No. 40
- notes: Hobson likes to make it thick - so you can almost eat it with a fork - and if you like it that way, add another 1/2 cup or so of split peas to the written instructions.
The Cookstarduster Columbia, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!