Red Lobsters Shrimp GumboFrom seafoodlover 8 years ago
- * 1-1/2 cups melted butter shopping list
- * 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- * 2 cups chopped onions, cut into 3/8" pieces shopping list
- * 1 cup chopped green peppers, cut into 3/8" pieces shopping list
- * 1 cup chopped celery, cut into 3/8" pieces shopping list
- * 1 lb. Andouille sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces shopping list
- * 1/2 lb. Tasso smoked meat, cut into 1/2" pieces shopping list
- * 1 tbsp. paprika shopping list
- * 3 tbsp. "Emeril's Bayou Blast" seasoning shopping list
- * 2 tsp. gumbo file, ground shopping list
- * 1 tsp. ground Ancho pepper (optional for extra heat) shopping list
- * 10 cups cold chicken stock or broth shopping list
- * 2 tbsp. brown sugar shopping list
- * 2 bay leaves shopping list
- * 1/2 lb. shrimp, cleaned and peeled with tails removed shopping list
- * salt and Pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Combine the melted butter and flour in a large heavy pot, stirring constantly over media heat. Cook until the roux is a dark, chocolate brown color (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- 2. Add the chopped onions, green peppers, celery, Andouille sausage and Tasso smoked meat. Cook, stirring continuously, until the vegetables are very soft (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- 3. Add the paprika, the "Emeril's Bayou Blast" and the gumbo file. If you want a spicier dish, add the Ancho pepper. Cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- 4. Add the cold chicken stock or broth. Stir until the roux mixture and the broth are well combined.
- 5. Add the bay leaves and the brown sugar, bringing the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 6. Add shrimp to the soup approximately 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving (size of the shrimp will determine how long they need to cook). Add salt and pepper to taste.