Simple Chili Con Carne BasicFrom londongirl85 8 years ago
- 450g beef mince (frozen/ground works best) shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 1 small can red kidney beans shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (double concentrate) shopping list
- 1 tbsp plain flour shopping list
- 1 beef stock cube (dissolved in 1 cup boiling water) shopping list
- 1-2 tsps crushed chillies shopping list
- oil to cover bottom of saucepan! shopping list
- rice or tortilla chips and sour cream to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Chop the onion into little cubes
- Rinse red kidney beans in water, drain and put aside.
- Lightly fry beef mince in a large saucepan until just browned, add chopped onion. Keep on lowest heat from now on.
- When the onion starts to soften up a little, stir in the tablespoon of tomato puree.
- When that's all mixed in, add the tablespoon of plain flour. The mixture will get dry and lumped up quickly!
- Mix in the beef stock about 1/3 at a time. Stir well in between pouring, so that the mixture evens out and looks like a sauce.
- Add the kidney beans, add the crushed chillies. (nb. I love chillies so use about 2tsps, you might want to start with just 1 and add to your taste).
- If you're not already at the lowest temperature, bring it right down, and cover saucepan. Leave for 10 minutes (softens up kidney beans and lets flavours set in), but stir it ocassionally so it doesn't stick to the pan!
- Serve with boiled white rice, or use as a dip for your tortilla chips/nachos, along with soured cream.
- Additional ingredients: To make a thicker, darker chili - use gravy granules instead of beef stock. To make a lighter meal (eg. for kids) - crush stock cube straight into beef when browning it and use canned chopped tomatoes at Step 6. To make it less spicy, but still flavourful - use mild chilli powder instead of crushed chillies (same amounts). You can also try adding garlic, herbs, mushrooms, red/green peppers, and top with grated cheese.
The Cooklondongirl85 London, GB
The Rating3 people
Loving the fact we Irish go right to the prátaí, lovely receipe big hit with my partner and I.Panda3 in loved it
I like Chilli con carne and I love easy recipes! Thanks for the post! Making it for dinner tonight, but being in Ireland will be serving it on mash! ;o)annielikestocook in Annacotty loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!