sausage and wild rice stuffed acorn squash with molasses glazeFrom cevandall 6 years ago
- 4 Small acorn squash shopping list
- 1 cup of wild rice dry shopping list
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage shopping list
- 1/2 cup beef broth shopping list
- 2 sweet apples (fuji) peeled, cored and diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries shopping list
- 1/4 cup of raisins shopping list
- 2 large green onions - chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup of red bell peppers shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chopped thyme shopping list
- molasses shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Cook 1 cup of wild rice. Wash rice. Boil three cups of water salted to taste. Reduce heat to a simmer and add rice. Cook for 50-60 minutes until rice is puffed open. Uncover and fluff with a fork,
- 3. Clean, cut in half and scoop seeds out of squashes. I recommend cutting them on the short axis, they fit in the pan better and have a fun texture. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each half, if they don't stand up by themselves.
- 4. Brush the inside of each half with some molasses. Place cavity side down in ungreased 9x13 baking pans. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until tender when poked by fork.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan cook the sausage on medium-high heat until pink and crumbly (about 5 minutes), if a lot of fat, drain some off. Then add the beef broth, apples, cranberries, raisin, green onions, bell peppers, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook about another 8-10 minutes until apples are tender when poked by fork. When the rice is rice done, add pan and reduce the heat to low.
- 6. When squash is done, uncover and turn the halves over. Fill each half equally with stuffing and brush tops of stuffing and rims of squashes with molasses. Bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.