Beef Stew With Potatoes And CarrotsFrom waterlily 5 years ago
- For braised beef: shopping list
- * 5 pounds boneless beef chuck (not lean), cut into 2-inch pieces shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- * 3 carrots, quartered shopping list
- * 3 celery ribs, quartered shopping list
- * 2 medium onions, quartered shopping list
- * 1 head garlic, halved crosswise shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- * 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar shopping list
- * 1 (750-ml) bottle dry red wine (about 3 3/4 cups) shopping list
- * 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California shopping list
- * 2 thyme sprigs shopping list
- * 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth shopping list
- * 3 cups water shopping list
- For potatoes and carrots: shopping list
- * 2 1/2 pounds small white boiling potatoes shopping list
- * 1 1/2 pounds carrots shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Pat beef dry and season with 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown meat, without crowding, in 3 batches, turning, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a platter.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 12 minutes.
- Push vegetables to one side of pot. Add tomato paste to cleared area and cook paste, stirring, 2 minutes, then stir into vegetables.
- Add vinegar and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine, bay leaves, and thyme and boil until wine is reduced by about two thirds, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add broth to pot along with water, beef, and any juices from platter and bring to a simmer. Cover and braise in oven until meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Set a large colander in a large bowl. Pour stew into colander. Return pieces of meat to pot, then discard remaining solids. Let cooking liquid stand 10 minutes.
- Cook potatoes and carrots:
- While beef braises, peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch-wide wedges. Slice carrots diagonally (1-inch).
- Add potatoes and carrots to stew (make sure they are submerged) and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 40 minutes.
The Cookwaterlily Joplin, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!