SURPRISE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH WISCONSIN MASCARPONE CHEESEFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- Filling: shopping list
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup peanut butter chips shopping list
- Cupcakes: shopping list
- 1 box dark chocolate or devils food cake mix shopping list
- Ingredients listed for mix shopping list
- Frosting*: shopping list
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate bar, broken into chunks shopping list
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sour cream shopping list
- Purchased white frosting with decorating tip shopping list
How to make it
- For filling, in a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and sugar. Stir in chips. Set aside.
- For cupcakes, preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 medium muffin pans with paper liners. Follow directions on cake mix package. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 full. Drop heaping teaspoon of filling on top center of each cupcake. Bake according to cupcake directions on mix package, usually 23-25 minutes. (The batter will cover the mascarpone filling during baking.) Remove from oven. Allow cupcakes to sit in pans 2 minutes. Remove cupcakes to rack and cool completely.
- For frosting, place chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cook at high power 1 minute. Stir; continue cooking at high power 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Immediately stir sour cream gradually into melted chocolate, mixing until smooth. Immediately spread over completely cooled cupcakes*; let stand until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes. Using white frosting with drawing tip, form squiggles across the cupcake frosting.
- Store covered at room temperature up to 2 days.
- *If icing becomes too stiff, microwave at high power 5 seconds to soften.