Lamb SouvlakiFrom nadira 4 years ago
- 1-2 lbs lamb cubed into bite sized pieces,(Kabab sized) shopping list
- 1 red onion shopping list
- 2 cucumbers shopping list
- 1 large tomato shopping list
- 1/2 head of lettuce shopping list
- 1 small tub of plain yogurt shopping list
- 1/4 cup of tahini (Sesame paste, found in Middle Eastern/Mediterranean Grocers) shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 tbs oregano shopping list
- 1 tsp crushed garlic shopping list
- 1/2 cup olive oil shopping list
- Few Calamata olives if desired. shopping list
- package of whole wheat pita pocket bread. Or your choice. shopping list
How to make it
- Place lamb in glass dish and salt and pepper, add olive oil, garlic and oregano. Marinate for 2 -4 hours or overnight .
- Wash all veggies well
- Chop cucumbers into thin slices same for tomatoes and onions.
- Julienne lettuce.
- Set all veggies aside.
- You can either skewer lamb to make into kababs or you can place them spread out in a shallow baking pan. Grill or Broil for a couple minutes on each side. Do not over cook,you want them pink and juicy. Set aside.
- Yogurt/Tahini Cucumber Sauce
- using about 1 cup of the cucumber slices add them to a blender with the yogurt and the tahini, add about a 1/8 tsp of garlic and salt. Blend till smooth. If needed add more yogurt and adjust taste. Tahini is very thick, some people like their sauce creamy others like it more thick, it's to your preference. Just a couple of pulses, or you'll get a juice and you'll have to adjust consistancy.
- Brush pita bread with olive oil and heat in a pan or grill till warm.
- Assemble the Pita with lamb pieces, veggies, and top it all off with the yogurt/tahini sauce.
- Add the olives on the side if desired.
The Cooknadira Kapolei, HI
- Not added to any groups yet!