Apple - Mince PieFrom jo_jo_ba 7 years ago
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed shopping list
- 2 tbsp hot water shopping list
- 2/3 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour shopping list
- 2/3 cup shortening shopping list
- 1 tbsp vinegar shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp ice water shopping list
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 cups prepared mincemeat shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flaxseed and hot water in a small dish, set aside to cool completely.
- Place flours into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add cooled flaxseed mixture and mix in.
- Combine vinegar and ice water and slowly add it to the flour, mixing until it just comes together. You may not need all the water.
- Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Roll out 2/3 of the dough and line a 9" pie tin, trimming the excess dough and reserving it for decoration.
- Line the shell with a layer of the thinly sliced apples.
- Pour mincemeat overtop of the apples.
- Using the reserved pie dough, cut out a lattice or other shapes and decorate the top of the pie.
- Place into the oven and bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake a further 30 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack before serving.