Grandmas homemade apple pieFrom kbennj 5 years ago
- 7-8 semi tart apples (Jonathon) peeled and sliced thin in half moon shaped slices shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 2Tbl flour (heaping) shopping list
- 1/4 stick butter sliced into pats shopping list
- cinnamon shopping list
- allspice shopping list
- crust: shopping list
- 2 cups flour sifted shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- 8 Tbl shortening (Crisco, heaping ) shopping list
- 8 TBL ice cold water shopping list
How to make it
- pre heat oven to 425 degrees
- wash, peel and slice apples thin into wedges (abt the thickness of a butter knife)
- add to large mixing bowl apples, sugar and flour mixing well to ensure all apples are covered
- then sprinkle with enough spices to cover to taste
- leave set while you make crust
- makes a 2 layer pie crust
- in a large bowl, sift 1 c flour and 1 tsp salt at a time to make sure well sifted.
- add the shortening in rounded heaps to the bowl
- take a pastry cutter and mix shortening and flour mixture until the consistency of corn meal, ensuring all large peices of shortening are broken up small and crumbly
- add ice cold water all at once.
- mix by hand until ingredients are all stuck together.
- do not mix too much or crust will be tough. The less you handle it, the better!
- form into a large ball and cut in half.
- Roll out on floured counter or wax paper 1 at a time. Make bottom crust 1/2 inch larger all around than the pie plate.
- place pie crust into pie plate
- add apple mixture.
- place pats of butter on top of apple mixture in crust
- sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired
- roll out second top crust.
- Place on top if apples in pie plate
- seal the edges with a little water on your fingertip
- make a decorative edge with your fingers pinching the two layers of crusts together. or using the teeth of a fork to put ridges around edges.
- brush the top of pie crust with a egg wash and sprinkle with sugar (optional) for looks
- take a knife and cut 5 slits into top crust for venting
- place a spare cookie sheet under pie in oven to reduce smoking when it begins to boil over.
- bake pie at 425 degrees for 15 mins
- then turn down heat and bake at 350 degrees for 35- 40 mins until pie is sbhowing it is bubbling
The Cookkbennj Toledo, OH
The Rating3 people
My husband loves apple pie! We have several apple trees in our yard and i always look for new apple recipes. This sounds like a comforting recipe! Great cooking tips here, too! High 5!juels in Clayton loved it
great instructions delicous apple pie thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!