Herbed Bread and Cracker DressingFrom poohbearlovesheavymetal 8 years ago
- 6 pieces bacon, crumbled (Hormel Natural Choice Uncured) shopping list
- ½ cup reserved bacon fat shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 4 cups celery, diced shopping list
- 9 cups sourdough, white & wheat bread, cubed & toasted (see note) shopping list
- 3 cups Stoned Wheat Thins crackers, crushed shopping list
- ¼ cup parsley flakes shopping list
- 2 tbs. poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1 tsp. pepper shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 2 eggs, scrambled shopping list
- 4 cups Pacific Natural Foods vegetable broth shopping list
How to make it
- Fry bacon till crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but ½ cup of bacon fat (or discard all bacon fat and replace with ½ cup of butter melted). Cook onion and celery until soft. Add bacon crumbles and turn off heat. In large bowl mix together bread crumbs, crackers crumbs, parsley, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt. Add onion mixture and stir well. Drizzle scrambled eggs over the top and mix thoroughly. Pour vegetable broth over dressing and mix well. Mixture should hold together when squeezed. If not, add more vegetable broth. Put mixture into 9x13 casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until center of stuffing reaches 160°.
- Note: You'll want to have your bread cubes ready to go the day before you are ready to cook your stuffing. You will need approximately two loaves worth of good quality bread. I like to mix sourdough, wheat and white. A simple way to do this is to save the heals and smaller end pieces of your bread in a ziploc bag in the freezer until your ready to make your dressing. Thaw bread, tear or cut into small pieces, spread on cookie sheet and toast in oven.
The Cookpoohbearlovesheavymetal Millville, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!