Homemade Baked Mac N CheeseFrom chef_irish 8 years ago
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat) shopping list
- 2 cups milk (not skim - use whole) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- Pinch cayenne shopping list
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta, uncooked. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
- In a blender, mix cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.* Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.