Cream Cheese and Pesto Stuffed Chicken BreastsFrom mears13 8 years ago
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto (store-bought or homemade) shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1 1/4 pounds total) shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs shopping list
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine cream cheese, pesto and pepper in a small bowl with a fork.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast half, nearly through to the opposite side. Open up each breast and place one-fourth of the filling in the center. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts and filling.
- Lightly beat egg white with a fork in a medium bowl. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow glass dish. Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in the egg white, then dredge in the breadcrumbs. (Discard leftovers.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts; cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Place the chicken, browned-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes