curried chicken with yellow squashFrom fariha 4 years ago
- chicken,small, with bones 1-1/2 lb shopping list
- yellow squash(frozen or fresh) 1 lb shopping list
- cooking oil 1/2 cup shopping list
- yellow onion(medium)large peices1 shopping list
- garlic cloves 4-5 shopping list
- fresh ginger root 1" peice shopping list
- fresh tomatoes (medium) halved 2 shopping list
- green chillies/pepper 1 shopping list
- salt 1 tsp/or as per taste shopping list
- red chilli powder 1/2 tsp shopping list
- crushed red chillies 1/3 tsp shopping list
- turmeric powder 1/3 tsp shopping list
- corriander powder 1/2 tsp shopping list
- cumin seeds (toasted) 1/2 tsp shopping list
- garam masala 1/2 tsp shopping list
- cloves 3-4 shopping list
- black cardamom 2 shopping list
- cinnamon stick 1' piece shopping list
- nutmeg powder 1/4 tsp shopping list
- bay leaves 2-3 shopping list
- cilantro(chopped) 2 tbsp shopping list
How to make it
- wash the chicken thorougly and pat it dry.
- Wash the yellow squash and cut it into chunks(if using fresh).
- In a wok, heat 1 cup oil and fry the chicken till golden. Remove the chicken on kitchen paper.
- In a pot, add onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, salt, ground red pepper,turmeric,corriander powder with 2 cups of water. put the lid on and let them cook on medium heat till water reduces to 3/4 and tomatoes are very soft.
- Carefully, remove the skins of tomatoes with tongs and mash and mix everything together with cooking spoon.
- Add the 1/2 cup of oil, and all the remaining spices except fresh corriander,green chillies and garam masala. cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook for further 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to keep the mixture from sticking to the pan.
- Add Yellow squash, about 1 and 1/2 cup of water,mix and let them cook on medium heat with lid on till the squash is very soft (about 15 minutes). 3/4 of the water should've been absorbed.
- Remove the chicken carefully, and mash the squash to form a almost thick consistency. Return the chicken into the pot and cook till the oil comes to the surface.
- Garnish with fresh chopped corriander, green chillies and garam masala on top.
- Serve immediately with warm flat bread,Pita or Rice.
The Cookfariha Memphis, TN
- Not added to any groups yet!