Cranberry CatsupFrom xnipek 5 years ago
- 3 pounds fresh cranberries shopping list
- 3-4 cups cider vinegar shopping list
- 3 medium to large onions, chopped shopping list
- peel from 1 or 2, medium to large oranges, chopped shopping list
- 1 orange [unnecessary to peel], cut into 1-inch pieces, remove seeds shopping list
- 3 tbs. mustard seed shopping list
- 2 tsp. ground red pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp. ground ginger shopping list
- 2 tsp. allspice shopping list
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced; or, shopping list
- 1 tbs. garlic powder shopping list
- 2 tsp. whole cloves shopping list
- 2 3-inch sticks cinnamon shopping list
- * Wrap whole spices in a single layer of cheesecloth or other loose-weave material to make it easier to remove after simmering. shopping list
- 2 cups sugar, white or brown shopping list
- 1.5 tbs. salt shopping list
How to make it
- Combine cranberries, chopped onions, chopped orange peel, mustard seed and orange, in a double boiler. Pour in vinegar; add enough to bring vinegar to about just below the top layer of cranberries. Simmer for 3-4 hours until all ingredients are soft; stir frequently to ensure even heating – be sure to maintain the water level of the double boiler.
- Run cooked cranberry mixture through a food mill, return to the double boiler. Add all spices except the sugar and salt, return to simmer for 2-3 hours. Note - Ground cinnamon and cloves may be used, but they will darken the catsup.
- Remove from heat, add sugar and salt, and mix well.
- Process for canning, or freeze.
- Use as tomato catsup. Very good with pork or mutton.
The Cookxnipek Cabot, AR
- Not added to any groups yet!