Chilled Tomato Soup With Goat Cheese CroutonsFrom chefmeow 6 years ago
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 cups coarsely chopped white onions shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 pounds ripe plum tomatoes halved seeded and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves shopping list
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 46 ounce can tomato juice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Croutons: shopping list
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese at room temperature shopping list
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh chives shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced garlic shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper shopping list
- 12 slices bread cut from a baguette shopping list
How to make it
- In a stockpot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook stirring often for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer then add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes begin to soften.
- Add thyme, basil and tomato juice then bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes uncovered until flavors have intensified.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth working in batches.
- Strain soup through sieve into bowl pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Discard solids then cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mash goat cheese with a fork.
- Add oil, chives and garlic then mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- About 15 minutes before serving take soup from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature.
- Taste and adjust seasoning then lightly toast the bread slices and spread with herbed goat cheese.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with a crouton then pass remaining croutons.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!