German Beef StewFrom despinap 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil shopping list
- 1 cup shredded carrot shopping list
- 1 cup chopped, peeled apple shopping list
- 1 medium onion; sliced (1/2 cup) shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1/3 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules shopping list
- 1 garlic clove; minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste; optional shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme; crushed shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/4 cup cold water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour shopping list
- hot cooked noodles shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil.
- Drain off fat.
- Return all meat to saucepan.
- Add carrot, apple, onion, the 1 cup water, the wine, bouillon granules, garlic, anchovy paste (if desired), thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a screw-top jar, shake together the 1/4 cup cold water and the flour; add to mixture in saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for one minute more. Serve over hot noodles.