Romaine Salad with Strawberries Mangoes and BarleyFrom twistedsister 6 years ago
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: shopping list
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- (May substitute Paul Newman's balsamic vinaigrette dressing) shopping list
- Salad: shopping list
- ½ pint strawberries, washed, stemmed, and sliced shopping list
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and sliced crosswise into 1-inch strips shopping list
- 1 cup cooked barley shopping list
- 1½ ribs celery, sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted shopping list
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced mangoes, fresh or frozen & thawed shopping list
- ½ cup jicama, cut into julienne strips shopping list
How to make it
- To make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl whisk balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper until mixed. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until smooth.
- For the salad: Pile romaine in a mound on a large platter. Distribute strawberries, mango and jicama over top. Combine barley, pecans and celery, and sprinkle onto the salad. Serve with vinaigrette.
- Note: Barley takes about an hour to cook, but you can always cook it ahead of time. Any extra barley can be added to soups too!