BEEF CHILI FOR HOT DOGSFrom dione73 7 years ago
- 2 ½ 1bs ground beef , (85% lean is ideal) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chili powder shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (not spicy paprika) shopping list
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon onion powder shopping list
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 3 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 ½ cup tomato (whole peeled tomatoes) shopping list
- 1 cup beef stock shopping list
- 1 ½ tablespoons harissa shopping list
- 2 cups minced onion shopping list
- 1 clove garlic minced shopping list
How to make it
- 1. In a nonstick saucepan toast chili powder-garlic powder; pour into a dish and set aside.
- 2. Spray a large non-stick sauce pan with cooking spray, over medium heat. Place the ground beef into pan, and cook meat thoroughly cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Strain the fat from meat in a colander and set meat aside.
- 3. Place pan back over medium heat, spray with cooking spray and add minced onion and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, cook briefly, and then add remaining dried spices.
- 4. Add the meat back into the pan with the spices. Add remaining ingredients except for the harissa. Over medium low heat, cook chili (meat mixture) until it begins to thicken. This should take about an hour and a half to two hours.
- 5. Once it has thickened to your liking, add harissa to chili, and mix until incorporated. Bring chili up to a boil and cook for about two minutes. The harissa will act as a thickening agent. and needs to boil in order to thicken properly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.