Cream Of Green Chile Chicken SoupFrom cheflette 8 years ago
- 2 corn tortillas -- * see note shopping list
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded shopping list
- 12 oz tub green chiles -- mild, hot, or x-hot shopping list
- 1/2 stick margarine shopping list
- 2 cups chopped onion shopping list
- 1 garlic clove -- peeled and minced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano -- crumbled shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth -- homemade or canned shopping list
- 2 medium baking potatoes -- peeled and cubed shopping list
- 1/3 tsp cumin shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1/3 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese -- grated shopping list
- * Preferably 1 of yellow cornmeal and 1 of blue. shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the tortillas into 1/4 inch wide strips and leave them uncovered
- at room temperature until they are dry and crisp, about 24 hours (or
- heat in iron skillet until dry and hot).
- In a 4 quart saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions, garlic, oregano, and bay leaves and cook, covered, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, salt, cumin & black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring once or twice, until the potatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and chicken, heat through and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- The soup can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Cool it completely and refrigerate, covered. Rewarm it over low heat, stirring often, until steaming.
- Ladle the soup into wide bowls, sprinkle the cheese over the soup, and scatter the tortilla strips over the cheese. Serve immediately.