Blackeyed Peas W Ham And VeggiesFrom kitchenfire 7 years ago
How to make it
- Rough chop 1/2 onion
- thick slice 2 zucchini
- cube 1/2 pound ham
- Saute in a skillet w/ olive oil and chopped garlic till onions are slightly opaque; approx. 5 min
- In a large stock pot put 1 pound black eyed peas, 1 large can of chopped stewed tomatoes and ham bone if available.
- Add sauteed ingredients and cover peas w/ about 2-3" of water
- Cover and bring to boil then simmer till tender, about an hour to hour and a half. Check water level occasionally and add more if needed.
- Season peas w/ black pepper, kosher salt, brown sugar and tomato paste to taste after they are tender. Do not season before they are done or the flavors will change on you and you'll have to fix it.
- Slice 1/2 bunch asparagus into 1" cuts and add to the peas approx. 15 minutes before you serve.
- This recipe freezes well so double the amount and save for later, especially if you are cooking for a family.
- 240 calories per cup; cost per 2 cup serving approx. $.75
People Who Like This Dish 1
- kitchenfire 78613, TX
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookkitchenfire 78613, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!