Curried Collard Greens Sweet Potatoes and Chick Peas over Basmati RiceFrom chefgil 5 years ago
- 1 onion, large, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 tbsp. garlic, crushed shopping list
- 2 lbs. collard greens, chopped, fresh or frozen shopping list
- 1or 2 sweet potatoes, cubed(depends on size and how much you like yams) shopping list
- 1 bell pepper, cut into pieces shopping list
- 2 carrots, sliced shopping list
- 1 - 15-oz. can Chick peas shopping list
- 1 - 28-oz. can tomatoes, crushed shopping list
- 1 cup raisins shopping list
- 1 cup walnuts, pieces (optional I prefer pine nuts, but walnuts are cheaper) shopping list
- 1 tbsp. cumin, ground shopping list
- 1 tbsp. paprika shopping list
- 1 tbsp. turmeric, powder shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, ground (or to taste) shopping list
How to make it
- Wash, clean, peel, and prepare the vegetables. Cut all the pieces about 1/2 inch in size.
- Place all of the veggies in the cooking pot
- .Open the chick peas and drain and discard the chick pea liquid.
- Add the chick peas to the veggies.
- Add the tomatoes, and the remaining ingredients.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Simmer until the onions become translucent and a fork easily pierces the sweet potato pieces.
- Prepare the basmati rice. I suggest cooking 2 cups of basmati rice in 31/2 cups of water. (The flavor of basmati blends wonderfully with curries.)
- Serve the Curried Collard Greens, Sweet Potatoes, and Chick Peas over a bed of the basmati rice.