Homemade Banana PuddingFrom lacrenshaw 7 years ago
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided shopping list
- 1/3 cup al-purpose flour shopping list
- Dash salt shopping list
- 3 eggs, separated shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 vanilla bean shopping list
- 45 vanilla wafer cookies, divided shopping list
- 5 ripe bananas, divided shopping list
- vanilla wafers and banana slices for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F..
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk.
- Cut open and scrape seeds from vanilla bean into mixture.
- Cook uncovered over boiling water, stirring constantly 10 to 12 minutes OR until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas.
- Continue to layer to make a total of 3 layers, ending with custard.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover surface and seal edges.
- Bake in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes OR until browned.
- Cool slightly and refrigerate.
- Garnish with additional wafers and banana slices if desired.